12-1-2016 We Are Orphans Here’ Life and death in East Jerusalem’s Palestinian refugee camp. By RACHEL KUSHNER New York Times Magazine

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/magazine/we-are-orphans-here.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

 

[Baha Nababta the writer's host and guide, a charismatic community organizer] said he was nervous. He said he'd been threatened. Also in my notes, this:  Baha says, two types  1. Those who want to help make a better life  2. Those who want to destroy everything. And in parentheses: (Arms trade. Drugs trade. Construction profits. No oversight wanted.…The next day, Baha had meetings to attend to try to solve the water problem. I spoke to Hiba about their kids. She asked me at what age [the writer's son] Remy started his piano lessons. "I want music lessons for the girls," she said. "I think it's very good for their development." As she said it, more machine-gun fire erupted from the roof of a nearby building. "I want them to know the feel, the smells, of a different environment. To be able to imagine other lives."  When I think of Hiba Nababta wanting what I want for my child, her rightful desire that her kids should have an equal chance, everything feels hopeless....


Posted by Judith Ferster, AIME member

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

11-17-2014 This is not yet an intifada, Palestinians say - Philip Weiss Mondoweiss

2-6-2014 On the Ugly Side of the Wall - Bill Fletcher, Jr. Tavis Smiley Show

10-22-21015 Israel’s descent into unmasked, right wing extremism: A new generation rises to fight occupation, settler-colonialism, apartheid - Omar Barghouti Salon